Once you decide to move forward with your plastic surgery procedure, you will meet with Board-Certified Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon Dr. Arthur M. Cambiero for a follow-up consultation roughly two weeks before your surgery. This is a chance for you and the doctor to discuss the procedure in detail, including the necessary preparation and recovery process. At that point, you also will need to finalize your financing arrangements.
Any time you have questions about any of the plastic surgery procedures that Dr. Cambeiro provides to patients in Las Vegas and Henderson, please contact Cambeiro Plastic Surgery online or by calling (702) 577-0039.
By taking time to complete a comprehensive consultation process, Dr. Cambiero enables all of his Las Vegas plastic surgery patients to develop realistic expectations of their outcome as well as a thorough understanding of the surgical process. This ensures that everyone who visits Cambeiro Plastic Surgery in Las Vegas has a high level of confidence about their aesthetic choices.
Preparing for Your Plastic Surgery
You can anticipate that Dr. Cambeiro will encourage the following steps to help you prepare for surgery.
- Stop smoking. Smoking reduces blood circulation and impedes healing so we ask that you quit smoking at least 6 weeks before surgery. Once you have stopped, we hope you will continue to benefit from being a non-smoker. Either way, it is imperative that you refrain from smoking for at least 6 weeks following your surgery.
- Stop taking certain medications and supplements. Be sure to discuss all of your prescriptions with our surgeon, who can then make an informed decision about which medications you should continue and which of them you should avoid until after surgery. For at least 2 weeks prior to the operation, you will need to avoid taking medications or other substances that could potentially cause surgical complications. Some of the substances the surgeon may advise you to avoid include Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs), Vitamin E, and anything that interferes with proper blood clotting.
- Manage any blood pressure issues. Patients with high blood pressure must have their condition under control in order to undergo plastic surgery. Please be sure to discuss your blood pressure status with our surgeon, and be sure to take your blood pressure medication right up to the time of your procedure.
During your pre-surgical visit, Dr. Cambiero also will perform a general physical exam and provide specific instructions regarding your particular procedure. Pre-operative photographs will be taken so you can measure your improvement. You may be prescribed antibiotics to begin prior to your surgery.
Your Plastic Surgery Recovery
Once you wake up from anesthesia, your incisions will be covered with dressings and supportive wrappings. Depending on your procedure, you may have drainage tubes placed under your skin. These types of surgical drains help promote healing and reduce infection.
You will need to arrange for an adult friend or family member to drive you home and to care for you for a couple of days. Your chosen caregiver also may need to help you manage your prescribed medications, prepare meals, eat, dress, and use the bathroom.
While you recover, it is important to follow all of the post-operative instructions provided by Dr. Cambeiro and his staff. These instructions are likely to include the following directives:
- Do not drive until you have been cleared to do so. This time frame will vary depending on your procedure and medications.
- Avoid strenuous activities like jogging, bending, or playing sports until you are cleared for such activities.
- Do not lift heavy objects until you have been cleared for normal activities.
- Do not consume alcohol as it can interfere with your recovery.
Although it may take months for your body to fully heal — depending on your procedure — the doctor will select a specific time frame after which you will be cleared to return to normal activities. The doctor's decision about this will depend on your unique circumstances. Your complete healing may take several months.
Never Hesitate to Call Your Plastic Surgeon With Questions
Dr. Cambeiro understands that each patient is unique. So he takes time to carefully assess the needs and desires of each individual who comes to him for plastic surgery.
When you need a Board-Certified Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon, please contact our practice online or call (702) 577-0039 to schedule your first visit with Dr. Cambeiro.